Sheikha Ahmed Al Mahmoud
Minister of Education
On May 6 2003, the Honorable Sheikha Ahmad Al-Mahmoud,
then Undersecretary of the Ministry of Education in Qatar, was appointed
its Minister. Mrs. Al-Mahmoud is a member of the Supreme Education
Council, and the General Conference of the Ministers of Education
in the Arab Bureau of Education for the Gulf States. She is also
chairperson of the Qatar Scouts and Guides Association, and the
Higher Steering Committee for developing pre-education. Minister
Al-Mahmoud has participated in committees for revising Elementary
reading and writing Arabic textbooks, and for preparing tests to
evaluate learning in Arabic. She started her career in Education
as a teacher of the Arabic Language in 1970, and has been Principal
and Supervisor for various schools and teacher training institutes,
and Assistant Director of the Education Supervisory Directorate.
Projects and the Practices performed for achieving High Quality of Education
The quality of Education and its development are considered the most important issues that preoccupy not only those responsible for the educational process in the State of Qatar but the political leadership as well ; because the quality gives the system the privilege of development and improvement of the educational services , providing an encouraging atmosphere for continuous development , enhancing the skills of the employees, activating work procedures , motivating the spirit of team work , and providing them serenity and confidence in all the inputs of the educational process and its operations and findings with the aim of achieving the objectives of sustainable development in the State of Qatar.
This interest is represented in the issuance of an Emiri Decree of the Law No (37) for the year 2002 by establishing the Supreme Council of Education that is in charge of planning educational policies and overseeing its development. The Council adopted the project of independent schools whose system relies on four fundamental principles as follows: independence, accountability, diversity and selection.
Three Institutes are affiliated to the Council:
The Institute shall oversee and support to the independent schools throughout new criteria of curricula and methods of teaching and providing programs for promoting the teachers skills.
It is in charge of preparing and making standard and unified exams, and supervising both the students and schools performance as well.
Higher Education Institute:
The Institute is in charge of scholarships , and provide information and choices for the university Education inside and outside the State of Qatar for those who want to carry on their university studies.
Among the procedures taken by this Council for developing education in the State of Qatar are:
- A comprehensive educational evaluation for all students of Government, Arab, and Private schools regarding all the stages of Education in the State, with the aim of providing teachers and schools with feedback to improve the performance and the learning of the students.
- Establishing a number of Governmental independent schools which include all the stages of education in which an educational and creative atmosphere is provided, and focuses on the student. These schools have the freedom of implementing their own educational objectives in conformity with the articles stipulated in the agreement signed with Education Institute, according to the criteria of the course's curricula in the following courses : Arabic language, English language, Mathematics, and Science and in accordance with the periodical financial auditing . These schools afford to the parents the opportunity of selecting the schools which correspond to their children's needs.
In these schools, every student is assessed in terms of his performance concerning the courses and his capacity of assimilating the expected skills stipulated in the curricula criteria set in the light of the international criteria.
- Each independent school shall draw up its educational strategy, and the appropriate methods of teaching, in addition to this, the independent school shall work on making the parent's participation more efficient and more active. These schools shall select and appoint their administrative and teaching Staff.
The Ministry of Education is keen on complying with these criteria through reviewing and developing its curricula in a comprehensive and continuous way and in line with the local and international latest developments ,enhancing these curricula with purposeful class and non-class activities .
- The expansion in the use of modern technologies in schools (introduction of Internet, and the use of the computer as an instructional media)
- Developing the school environment according to the new plans of the school buildings equipped with laboratories and halls for multi-purpose as well as computers.
- Considering the pre-school education as a part of the educational system, a section for pre-school education has been set up and governmental kindergartens for boys and girls have been opened accordingly.
- Continuing in taking care of students of special needs in accordance with the strategy of inclusion in Public Education and give them the opportunity to join the schools of Special Education (Audio-Visual and AL-Noor Institute), and the implementation of the project (Chamber of resources of learning) for taking care of students who are slow learners, students of special needs, students who are suffering from difficulties of learning (administrative and technical).
- Strengthening the experience of Technical education, and developing it so that it can accomplish its tasks as one of the vocational branches of the society.
- Care for sport and encouragement of qualified sport cadres by opening 'Qatar Academy for Sport" which started with the first and second preparatory grades for the academic year 2003-2004 and carrying out some activities and sport competitions in many different schools.
- The expansion of the participation within students councils through their elected councils in the context of the conception of the democratic dialogue, and of the constructive society's continuity.
- Reinforcing vocational development of the employees of the Ministry with their different jobs (technical and administrative) by participating in training sessions, and in internal and external workshops whose programs include diverse subjects, like school management, strategic planning and the art of communication and dialogue, evaluation and assessment, instructional media and the recent techniques in addition to the sessions in the field of Education Supervisory for new male and female supervisors.
- Commencing by implementing the project of evaluation of the school’s work performance for the year (99-2000) which rely on the follow up of the school performance with all its inputs as: school building, teachers, administrative staff, students, parents , defining the points of weakness and deficiency and remedying consequently.
The evaluation will be done by a group of trained individuals for this purpose; every year they shall make reports about what has been assessed in the school which are forwarded to the concerned schools accordingly.
Finally, we hope that we have previously shown up the keen interest of the political leadership and those responsible for Education in the State of Qatar in achieving a high quality of education and its development for all the youths .